General job duties. Types of procedures required.
Under the supervision of a Registered Nurse, assists the physician performing a surgical procedure by establishing and maintaining a sterile field in the O.R., setting up equipment, scrubbing in, handing instruments and supplies to surgeon. Assists the surgical team by preparing patient for transport out of O.R. and cleaning O.R.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Functions as a scrub tech before, during, and after surgical procedures, performing duties that include, but are not limited to:
- Establishing and maintaining a sterile field
- Procedure-specific preparation and instrument/equipment set-up; ensuring all equipment and supplies are available/at hand
- Handing off instruments/supplies to surgeon
- Management of medications on the sterile field
- Operation of laser
- Suctioning upper airway of patient, as needed
- Management of chest and wound drainage
- Management of anatomical and body fluid specimens
- Care of staples/sutures
- Surgical instrument and supply counts
- Applying dressings
- Assisting with preparations for transport of patient out of O.R.
- Assisting the team with cleaning and set up of O.R. in preparation for next case
Required skills and minimum years of experience.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
•Maintains regular, consistent and punctual attendance at the assigned job location
•Functions appropriately in a crisis/emergency situation
•Ability to read, write legibly, and converse effectively in the English language
•Recent (within past 2 years) experience in acute hospital operating room preferred
Specific licensures and certifications/registrations required. (ARRT, CRT, BLS, ACLS, etc)
•National certification as a Surgical Technician
•American Heart Association Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support (BLS) or must be obtained by the last day of the month after the 60-day grace period.
Shift or schedule requirements. (Will the employee ever work alone? Is call required? If so, how often? Are weekends required?)
no. yes. 4-5 shifts a month, two of the days are weekends.