Shipping Material Handler
Summary/Objectives: The function of the Material Handler I, under appropriate supervision, is to move parts through the production process. Workers in this area will become familiar with the materials, tools, fixtures, equipment, machines, computer systems, etc., used in the area; as well as, be able to operate equipment and perform functions in the area. Importantly, workers should understand the function and relationship of their activity/department to other parts of the Company, and strive to obtain cooperation and understanding with all other groups/departments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following (other duties may be assigned):
1. Move parts through production areas according to policy and procedures; count or weight parts to check quantity accuracy.
2. Complete basic Plex (ERP system) scan function to ensure flow through production and update system critical data information.
3. Use material moving equipment such as pallet jacks, forklifts and dollies to bring products and materials to an appropriate location.
4. Reads work orders or follows oral instructions to ascertain materials or containers to be moved and where they should be moved too.
5. Sort and place materials/items on racks or shelves according to type.
6. Ensure accuracy and quality of parts moved in a fast paced production environment.
7. Support all company policies, procedures, safety rules and principals of Lean Manufacturing/5S.
8. Be available as required by customer demand to work additional time (overtime) throughout the year.
9. Perform other related duties as assigned by the Logistics Supervisor or Supply Chain Manager.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
Education and/or Experience:
Basic math and computer skills are necessary. Must be self-motivated, able to work independently and willing to make decisions. Able to troubleshoot and resolve problems. Must be a good communicator (written and verbal) and able to speak, read, write and understand the English language. Certification of forklift operation and other material moving equipment may be required.
1 year work experience preferably in warehouse/production environment; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Standing and walking for long periods of time. Occasionally required to sit, climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Lifting up to 40lbs unassisted and occasionally lift and/or move heavier items utilizing a team lift.
- Repetitive use of hands/motion and have manual dexterity, finger dexterity, and multi-limb coordination.
- Use of appropriate personal protective equipment, including but not limited to safety glasses, steel-toe shoes, hearing protection, respirator mask, coveralls.
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to airborne contaminants, moving mechanical parts and vibration. Work environment is not climate-controlled. The noise level may exceed permissible exposure limit and hearing protection may be required. Fumes, odors, dust and dirt.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
Full-Time. Work Schedule: Warehouse Monday through Thursday, 5:00AM – 3:30PM. Shipping Monday through Thursday 6:00AM-4:30PM. Work schedule is subject to change. May require overtime based on business needs.