RN Registered Nurse - Med / Surg Various Shifts
Day and Night shifts available (7a-7p/7p-7a), rotating weekends.
POSITION SUMMARY: - RN Registered Nurse - Med / Surg
Under the direction of the nursing director or other supervisor, the RN Registered Nurse - Med / Surg assumes responsibility for providing patient care for his/her specified department/shift, utilizing the nursing process of assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation. Works in collaboration with all other care disciplines to provide safe, efficient, and coordinated care for assigned patients. The RN Registered Nurse must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to patients of all age groups, from pediatrics to geriatrics. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development of the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient’s status. He/she must interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient’s requirements relative to his or her age and specific needs and to provide care in accordance with physician orders, the Joint Commission standards, OSHA regulations, nursing and departmental policies and procedures.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES: - RN Registered Nurse - Med / Surg
- The staff RN Registered Nurse prescribes, delegates and coordinates the nursing care for assigned patients throughout the scheduled shift according to the plan of care and in collaboration with other members of the health care team (physicians, pharmacists, dieticians, physical therapists, occupational therapists, case managers, etc.).
- Identifies both actual and potential needs/problems through nursing assessment to facilitate an organized and prioritized plan of care.
- Recognizes and responds to emergency situations and life threatening situations appropriately.
- Documents admission and shift assessments, plan of care, interventions and educational needs of each patient, as well as, documenting the patient/family response to interventions.
- Delivers patient care activities according to the policy for Standards of Care – Adult or Pediatric
- Appropriately utilizes, maintains, and charges for equipment and supplies. Checks emergency equipment/drugs for proper operation and availability each shift.
- Maintains a safe patient and working environment by adhering to infection control and safety policies and procedures.
- Receives physician orders, documents, follows up and evaluates patients’ outcomes.
- Assures that orders are carried out properly per policy. All orders are to be acknowledged and/or noted, signed and dated appropriately.
- Evaluates, communicates and documents care delivered to the patients to other members of the health care team through shift report, nursing care plans, patient care notes, and/or direct communication.
- Initiates, coordinates, and communicates discharge planning in collaboration with other members of the health care team.
- Reviews and approves discharge instructions to ensure compliance with physician’s orders
- May supervise nursing assistants, LPNs or students.
- Administers & wastes medications in accordance to medication management policies
Other duties as assigned.
- Reports any suspected abuse to the appropriate agencies
- Initiates patient education plan, as prescribed by physician. Teaches patients and significant others how to manage their illness/injury, by explaining post treatment home care needs, diet/nutrition/exercise programs, self-administration of medication and rehabilitation, as well as provides referrals to other healthcare professionals for follow-up treatment.
- Displays professionalism while completing multiple urgent tasks in a timely manner
- Records all care information concisely, accurately and completely, in a timely manner, in the appropriate format and on the appropriate forms.
- Functions as a preceptor or an educational resource in the initial and on-going orientation of new personnel, students, etc.
- Respects and honors cultural and religious differences between patients and self
- Upholds HIPAA regulations
- Is punctual and can be relied upon to report when assigned to work
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by completing Life Talent assignments by established deadlines, maintaining certification and license requirements to insure no lapse in expiration
- Puts patient first. Always strives daily to give all customers excellent care.
- Involves the patient and/or family in the utilization of processes which respect patient’s rights.
- Participates in meetings, committees and continuing education to improve both individual departmental and organizational performance.
- Handles conflicts and concerns in a timely and professional manner, utilizing crisis-de-escalation skills when appropriate
- Promotes cooperative relationships among health care teams by communicating information, responding to requests, building rapport, participating in team problem-solving methods.
- Contributes to the maintenance of a safe working environment and the employee’s own personal safety
- Recognizes safety hazards and takes action to maintain a safe environment for patients, staff, visitors and community
- Adheres to Life Safety Codes, MSDS, Infection Control, and all other regulatory and hospital policies
- Participates in performance improvement processes and projects
- Performs job duties in a manner that supports WCCH’s core values & Code of Conduct, and in support of the mission of the organization
Qualifications: - RN Registered Nurse - Med / Surg
Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the Commonwealth of Virginia or eligibility to sit for exam.
Prefer one year of experience working on a medical-surgical care unit/ telemetry unit.
BCLS certification required within 30 days of initial employment.
Prefer ACLS, PALS Certifications
Ability to accept regular on-call assignments for regularly scheduled shifts when acuity and/or census indicates need. Will be available to report to facility within 60 minutes of notification. This status will be determined by Department Director, Supervisor, Clinical Team Lead/Charge Nurse or House Supervisor.