Director of Medical Surgical
Summary: Director of Medical Surgical
Provide leadership for planning, management, implementation, integration and coordination of Medical Surgical Care Unit and in support of facility goals dedicated to excellence, effective leadership, and financial stability. Support the delivery of the high quality, cost effective patient care through activities based on facility strategic goals and objectives.
Unit details for the Director of Medical Surgical
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Director of Medical Surgical
• Enhance oncology services through performance improvement and appropriate utilization of resources.
• Develop an operational system that supports a seamless flow of patients through the continuum of care.
• Collaborate with physicians to provide leadership in the oncology department.
• Evaluates and makes recommendations regarding new technology and services.
• Collaborates proactively with all interdisciplinary team members and with a patient/family focus to facilitate and maximize client healthcare outcomes. Coordinates multi-disciplinary patient care conferences for high risk or medically complex patients.
• Responsible for the planning and coordination of the reporting department activities, the operational efficiency and effectiveness as well as major impact on all other hospital areas.
• Effectively interviews and selects a qualified number of personnel as required to meet department objectives. Ensures hiring practices conform to appropriate Affirmative Action/EEO practices and regulations.
• Provides direction to the staff and supervisors of the Unit. Reviews performance of the department staff and approves staff evaluations. Responsible for appropriate disciplinary action of staff members as needed.
• Oversees the prioritization of projects and directs resources to ensure the attainment of facility goals.
• Responsible for ensuring reporting departments meet and adheres to all applicable federal, state, JCAHO, and local regulatory agency requirements and for ensuring the department and facilities success in any regulatory survey.
• Participates on various committees and other task forces as may be established by management to plan, organize and drive the facility.
• Directs and/or participates in regular discussions and reviews on a variety of diverse/complex issues including financial and administrative matters, which have hospital-wide impact.
• Responsible for making decisions required to maintain acceptable operations based on strategic goals and policies. Displays ingenuity and foresight in determining the most appropriate solution in the absence of established guidelines.
• Confers with other department directors when necessary to resolve procedural difficulties, clarifying department responsibilities, objectives and resolving identified problems.
• Directs, reviews, and analyzes progress and performance of contract services personnel. Makes recommendation on contract initiation, renewals and termination.
• Responsible for special projects as assigned by the Administrative Management Team. Meets all objectives as set forth in individual evaluation and displays a good work attitude towards job responsibilities.
• Adheres to hospital/departmental attendance policy, work hours and maintenance of personal appearance as stated in facility policy.
• Actively seeks ways to control costs without comprising patient safety, quality of care or the services delivered.
• Demonstrates knowledge of the occurrence reporting system and reports trends in occurrences to staff. This information is used to improve patient safety.
• Ensures staff is educated on established guidelines for reporting a significant medical error or unanticipated outcome in the patient’s care which results in patient harm.
• Addresses patient safety in the Performance Improvement Plan.