Cardiac Vascular Sonographer
Basic Function of Cardiac Sonographer:
Evaluation of anatomy and pathophysiology of the heart and great vessels by the use of diagnostic ultrasound. Performance, measurement, and evaluation of Adult and Pediatric Transthoracic Echocardiograms, Stress Echo (Treadmill, Dobutamine, and Valvular), and TEE procedures. Image and report processing via PACS and electronic reporting applications. Perform specialty imagine (contrast, 3D, strain) and participate in cardiac cath lab and cardiovascular surgical procedures. Engage with sonographer team, physicians, families, and patients to create a Great Patient Experience. Support laboratory operations by participation in accreditation, quality assurance, education, and lab development projects. Embodies the Memorial Health System Performance Excellence Standards of Safety, Courtesy, Quality, and Efficiency that support our mission, vision and values.
Basic Function of Vascular Sonographer:
Evaluation of anatomy and pathophysiology of the vascular system by the use of diagnostic ultrasound. Performance, measurement, and evaluation of arterial and venous structures. Assist the vascular surgeons in the diagnosis and treatment of vascular disorders/diseases. Image and report processing via PACS and electronic reporting applications. Support laboratory operations by participation in accreditation, quality assurance, education, and lab development projects.
Principle Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Obtain, review and bring together pertinent patient history, physical examination and supporting clinical data to facilitate diagnostic result.
2. Perform cardiac and/or vascular ultrasound diagnostic and/or therapeutic procedures on patients of all ages by producing, assessing and evaluating ultrasound images and related data according to established standards, policies, procedures and guidelines.
3. Provide interpreting physicians with an oral or written summary of technical findings.
4. Maintain technical skills related to all ultrasound imaging factors; maintain knowledge of other testing modalities.
5. Embodies the Memorial Health System Performance Excellence Standards of Safety, Courtesy, Quality, and Efficiency that support our mission, vision and values:
• SAFETY: Prevent Harm - I put safety first in everything I do. I take action to ensure the safety of others.
• COURTESY: Serve Others - I treat others with dignity and respect. I project a professional image and positive attitude.
• QUALITY: Improve Outcomes - I continually advance my knowledge, skills and performance. I work with others to achieve superior results.
• EFFICIENCY: Reduce Waste - I use time and resources wisely. I prevent defects and delays.
6. Demonstrate knowledge in human gross and sectional anatomy and physiology and pathophysiology to image and evaluate normal and abnormal tissue structure or function.
7. Understand biological effects of ultrasound.
8. Adheres to behavioral standards.
9. Utilize proper infection control procedures according to department and hospital procedures.
10. Ensure proper recording, documentation, confidentiality and transmission of patient information. Develop and maintain skills in digital imaging and information practices.
11. Monitor the condition of equipment and supplies to ensure safe and efficient operation of the department.
12. Comply with departmental policies regarding employee/patient incident reports.
13. Participate in the department’s continuing education program, Laboratory accreditation and case review/quality review processes.
14. Keep current with clinical developments in the field of ultrasound imaging. Be responsible for continual learning.
15. Maintain ARDMS credential through documentation of continuing education requirements of the credentialing organization.
16. Organize and participate in daily activities that maintain operations: cleaning stocking, equipment evaluation, moving equipment to bedside studies, data entry and evaluation, emergency call rotation, imaging system electrical safety, equipment repair and diagnostics, Imaging and reporting system Dbase maintenance and Sys Admin functions.
17. Serve as liaison to other hospital departments for coordination of quality assurance and process improvement activities.
18. Serve as resource to technical staff, medical staff and visitors for clinical or educational information and activities.
19. Maintain and advance abilities to assimilate and report clinical information in complex patients.
20. Follow MMC policy directives and procedures the performance of duties and responsibilities.
21. Be an example to the laboratory staff of professionalism, teamwork and patient advocacy.
22. Demonstrate leadership in helping the team meet strategic goals of the department and the organization.
• Bachelors Degree preferred.
• Active Registry in Medical Sonography by the ARDMS (American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers) required. Cardiac Sonographers are to hold Specialty Certification in Adult or Pediatric Echocardiography (RDCS). Vascular Sonographers are to hold Specialty Certification as Registered Vascular Technologist (RVT) or RDMS in the Abdominal specialty.
• CPR required within 90 days from hire date.
Yearly Credentialing to Maintain Current Track:
Clinical Ladder Level Definitions:
Sonographer Registry Pending: New graduate sonographer until registry passed (max time 6 months)
Registered Sonographer: Registered sonographer who achieves a range of 1-8 credits on the Clinical Ladder Behavior Grid.
Registered Clinical Sonographer: Registered cardiac sonographer who achieves a range of 9-18 credits on the Clinical Ladder Behavior Grid with evidence of behaviors from at least two categories of the Grid.
Registered Advanced Clinical Sonographer: Advanced Cardiovascular Sonographer who achieves at least 19+ credits on the Clinical Ladder Behavior Grid with evidence of behaviors from at least three categories of the Grid.
• Other Knowledge/Skills/Abilities:
• Ability to lift and move patients and heavy equipment to meet the clinical and operational needs of the area.
• Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
• Educational methodology, data organization, information handling skills and leadership abilities required.